Founded in Montreal in 1917, Bird Protection Quebec is the oldest bird conservation charity in Canada and among the oldest in North America.
It is our belief that birds are a vital part of our world. Wildlife, and birds in particular, have intrinsic value as part of human experience. The beauty and grace of birds, their adaptations to particular environmental niches, and their rich and varied behavioural patterns fill us with admiration and stimulate our curiosity about the natural world.
Knowledge of birds and their biology is an important element of the understanding of our natural environment and an essential prerequisite to its protection and preservation. We are convinced that protection of birds and their habitats contributes to the general welfare of individuals and society.
Our mission can be expressed as fulfilling three basic goals, whose acronym is ECO, as in “ecology”:
- Education: to promote public awareness and appreciation of birds in the context of conservation, biodiversity and their ecosystems by the organization of educational and observational programs.
- Conservation: to protect natural wildlife habitats and to manage our own nature reserves for the long-term benefit of wildlife, especially birds. To support, financially and by our volunteer skills, appropriate scientific studies and research projects.
- Observation: to organize regular field trips that enable our members and other interested birders to observe birds in a wide variety of habitats in Quebec and nearby areas.
To carry out our mission, Bird Protection Quebec organizes the following activities:
- Research: We provide research grants to individual scientists and organizations to help them to carry out important research on birds and their habitats.
- Nature reserves: In cooperation with other organizations, we acquire new lands within Quebec to set aside as nature reserves. We also work to better protect wildlife in these reserves while making them accessible to the public for observation of birds and nature.
- Field trips: We organize weekly field trips, led by local birding experts, to a large variety of different birding destinations throughout the year. We also organize additional morning and evening field trips during the spring and fall migration periods. These trips are open to members as well as to the general birding public.
- Evening lectures: We organize monthly lectures during the fall, winter, and spring. These lectures highlight scientific studies of birds and their natural environments, as well as exciting birding experiences in Quebec and abroad.
- Bird courses: Each winter we offer short courses that enable our members to sharpen their observational skills and to learn about birds and their behaviour.
- Publications: We publish regular newsletters that contain articles of interest and relevance to our mission.
We work with the following partner organizations to further our mutual aims:
- Nature Conservancy of Canada/Conservation de la nature Canada
- Nature Canada
- Regroupement Québec Oiseaux
- Réseau de milieux naturels protégés